Who can apply?
Students who meet the following criteria:
- Must have competed at the UIL Academic State Meet any year of their high school career (CX debaters must have advanced to the second day of competition) OR must be a state finalist in the Barbara Jordan Historical Essay Competition, the Latino History Essay Competition, Student Congress, or the UIL Young Filmmakers Festival
- Must plan to attend an accredited college or university in the state of Texas
- Must enroll full-time in college and maintain a 2.5 college GPA (some scholarships require higher GPAs)
- Must have taken either the SAT or the ACT
- Must be graduating from high school during the current academic year
PLEASE NOTE, participation in athletic contests does not qualify a student to apply for a TILF scholarship.
Qualifying contests are as follows:
Accounting, Barbara Jordan Historical Essay Competition*, Calculator Applications, Computer Applications, Computer Science, Current Issues and Events, Debate (Cross-Examination* & Lincoln-Douglas), Journalism (Editorial Writing, Feature Writing, Headline Writing & News Writing), Literary Criticism, Mathematics, Number Sense, Latino History Essay Competition*, One-Act Play, Ready Writing, Science, Social Studies, Speech (Prose Interpretation, Poetry Interpretation, Informative Speaking & Persuasive Speaking), Spelling & Vocabulary, Student Congress*, Theatrical Design, and Young Filmmakers Festival*.
*Special Notes: Only Cross-Examination Debate State Meet competitors advancing to the second day elimination rounds as one of the top 16 teams may apply. For students who compete in the Barbara Jordan Historical Essay Competition, Latino History Essay Competition, Student Congress, and/or Young Filmmakers Festival, only state finalists are eligible to apply.
Advancing to the state level in pilot contests that are not yet officially sanctioned by the UIL, including Robotics, does not qualify a student to apply for TILF scholarships.
All applicants must meet the main scholarship criteria and should also consider any additional requirements for individual donors listed on the scholarships page. (Please note, however, that applicants are applying directly to the program and not for a specific scholarship. Our donors and board members are the ones who make the final determination.)